Monday, July 14, 2008

Last of the One Prayer series

Yesterday was the final week for OnePrayer at LCC. Personally I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I dearly love Pastor Wes' messages and am looking forward to the exciting series coming up. On the other hand, I have so enjoyed the different views and teaching styles of the other OnePrayer Pastors. It appeals to my ADD qualities to have something completely fresh and new each week. And I totally love the sense of being part of something so much bigger than our little church in the cow pasture! It gave me an idea of how we could look "when we grow up". That is really exciting!
Wayne Cordeiro was awesome! He made me think in so many directions at once, I wish I could have heard that message a couple more times! I did get a few distinct things out of what he said, though.
1 - a quiet time does not have to be in the morning to be legitimate! This is huge for me! I am NOT a morning person and for so long I have tried to be; getting up early (or attempting to) so that I could fellowship with God, like all of these wonderful men and women of faith that I so admire are always talking about. And then feeling guilty that I could not stay focused for more than a few minutes at a time and spending the majority of my time with God asking for forgiveness that I couldn't stay focused! I am now looking forward to having wonderful, guilt free, quality and productive and wonderful (yes I know I said that twice) quiet times in the afternoons!
2 - A table of contents for a journal is a cool idea. For my current journal, I will have to make mine at the back, but next time I get a new journal, I will definately leave room in the front!
3 - I am going to redouble my effort to memorize more scripture. I already felt I needed to memorize Peter (yes, both 1st and 2nd) and several Psalms. I am wondering if copying them out a few times will make it easier. Seems to me like it might.
4 - If my heart is truly to see people grow closer to Jesus and develop a deeper relationship with Him, then that is going to happen out of the overflow of what is in my heart. My words will convince no one! And while that means I have to have that kind of relationship myself, it also means that my focus has to be on Jesus and not on growth. (this was one of those aside thoughts that was triggered by something he said not a quote from what he said in the sermon, so don't think you missed anything if you didn't go there :) )
5 - (another triggered thought) God wants us to trust Him completely. We all have trust issues to some degree because we live in a fallen world and we have all been hurt. The trials and tests we go through in life are there to teach us to trust God through them, and they get bigger and bigger as we go deeper and deeper in our trust in Him. And even though we long to trust Him fully, it takes time. But, "God is the one who began this good work in you, and I am certain that he won't stop before it is complete on the day that Christ Jesus returns." (Phillipians 1:6) Now that is encouraging!

Like I said, I wish I could have listened to the message a few more times. I am certain I would have gotten even more out of it. Gotta love a review of the basics!

No comments: